July 25, 2009

Drive Thru? NOT!

Save your gas, reduce your CO2 output, and recycle - skip the drive thru and go inside. Order your meals " to go " and place the bags, napkins, and cups into your home recycling bin.

July 21, 2009

Replace the Bleach

The past few months we've had to clean our son's baseball pants almost every day. They are white, and boys love to be in the dirt.

What a mess!

I couldn't stand putting all that bleach on the clothes that would be on his skin. Not to mention the fumes!

I found a few alternatives.

1. Add 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide to the wash.

2. Add 1/2 cup baking soda.

3. Pour on some white distilled vinegar before washing.

Try products without chemicals - they may surprise you.

July 20, 2009


Use cloth napkins. If you need to use paper napkins, make sure they are recycled.

July 17, 2009

No Lights!

When you leave a room, turn the lights off as you go - every time. Get any other members of your household to do the same. I loved hearing, " Mom, you left the light on." (Happened only once).

July 13, 2009

Indoor Plants

Improve your indoor air quality with plants instead of artificial, and often toxic, room fresheners.

July 7, 2009

Check Your Toilet

Upgrade your toilets to low-flush models to save water and money!

July 4, 2009

Rediscover The Library

If you don't already have a library card, get one. Try borrowing books, books on tape, and videos instead of buying them.

July 1, 2009


No doubt about it...fireworks are COOL! Even as I get older, I am still impressed by all the colors, the sounds, and the different shapes of the firework displays.

Now, we've all seen fireworks, but have you ever taken the time to think about the environmental impact they have? Or their safety? Many people are injured or killed every year from fireworks.

Try to stay safe by keeping a safe distance away. Not only will you reduce your risk of injury, it will help keep you safer from inhaling the toxic chemicals that will rain down on you from the fireworks.

How are they toxic, you ask? Many fireworks produce dust and smoke that contain various heavy metals, sulfur-coal compounds, and other nasty chemicals. Some chemicals, such as cadmium, lead, and potassium perchlorate can cause some respiratory and other health problems. Others, like barium, are poisonous and radioactive. NOT COOL!

These chemicals end up in our water supply and pollute the air we breathe for several days. Keep yourself and your loved ones a safe distance away if you like to watch the show.

How about trying a laser light show, biodegradable confetti, or other non-toxic displays of bright colors? A little research can go a long way.