July 1, 2009


No doubt about it...fireworks are COOL! Even as I get older, I am still impressed by all the colors, the sounds, and the different shapes of the firework displays.

Now, we've all seen fireworks, but have you ever taken the time to think about the environmental impact they have? Or their safety? Many people are injured or killed every year from fireworks.

Try to stay safe by keeping a safe distance away. Not only will you reduce your risk of injury, it will help keep you safer from inhaling the toxic chemicals that will rain down on you from the fireworks.

How are they toxic, you ask? Many fireworks produce dust and smoke that contain various heavy metals, sulfur-coal compounds, and other nasty chemicals. Some chemicals, such as cadmium, lead, and potassium perchlorate can cause some respiratory and other health problems. Others, like barium, are poisonous and radioactive. NOT COOL!

These chemicals end up in our water supply and pollute the air we breathe for several days. Keep yourself and your loved ones a safe distance away if you like to watch the show.

How about trying a laser light show, biodegradable confetti, or other non-toxic displays of bright colors? A little research can go a long way.

No comments: